Modern technology has come to such a stage that nobody has a life without a smartphone anymore. In this world of constant connectivity and the million uses that a smartphone offers, a person cannot help but keep using the phone. But when a child begins to use it constantly, it is a matter of concern, for cellphone addiction at such a young age is something that needs to be discouraged. This is necessary not only for the health of the child, but also for his/her social skills.
But there comes a point when all you can do is allow your child to use the phone. In such cases, you might think that you do not have a choice, but you do. Letting the child use a phone and its apps can be an educational experience, too. You just have to look for the right apps and all it takes is a nudge in the right direction.
Here is a list of 5 apps that are sure to help a child grow mentally.
- Wordament: I, myself, started using this app when I got a smartphone, but if you are a parent and your child insists on using your phone, then install this app! It will improve your child’s vocabulary as well as instill the right sense of competition within them.
Play Store: https://goo.gl/e0uGej
- 2048: This is a very basic game, filled with numbers and additions and the sort. But if there is one thing apart from math that this game teaches, it is organization, which has quickly become highly important skill in today’s world.
Play Store: https://goo.gl/ggvoHk
- QuizUp: This is an app that pitches you against people across the world or in your own circle. It is an app that tests your general knowledge against a person that you choose to play against. So if you want your child to play this game and improve their general knowledge, you can login via Facebook or Google and let them battle it out to impress their mental keenness and superiority.
Play Store: https://goo.gl/ZWBM0a
- Words With Friends: Another word app that pitches one against friends. This is an online version of Scrabble, a sure-shot way of ensuring that your child builds words using the tiles and learns new ones in the process.
Play Store: https://goo.gl/4XLgw8
- Temple Run 2: Even I am surprised that this is even on this list, but think about it. This game is not just about swiping left and right. It encompasses skills like problem-solving, decision-making and improving your every move, which might just turn out to be an analogy to reality.
Play Store: https://goo.gl/zf1JF
So when you see your child playing these games, by all means go ahead and tell them to play in a limit, which is how it needs to be, but also know that these games will help sharpen your child’s brains. And they will help your child’s mental abilities in the long run. As for physical strength, there is nothing better than following our age-old known street games. So let your child play on your phone, but also urge them to go out and experience those things that made your childhood so awesome.
About the Author
Sonali Vijay Dabade is a professional freelance writer. She has been writing and editing for some time now, with a special interest in children’s and family subjects. Prior to writing, she loves reading all sorts of books, relish travelling and has a deep affection for music. She believes herself as a spirited dreamer and an admiring thinker.
Sonali helps parents make sense of what’s going on in their kids’ lives. From games to cell phones to movies and more, if you’re wondering “what’s the right age for…?” With an extensive and abiding interest in children and bossing people around, her role as a parenting expert brings her skills and obsessions together in perfect harmony.