It is not unknown that we are but specks in this whole Universe. The majority of the population goes about their daily jobs, content with what they do, and live unknown to the world at large. But there are people who are famous because of what they do, and a part of the world populace looks up to them. These people are like us in their own ways: the most important similarity being that they experience parenthood in the same manner as we do. The added bonus of being famous is that you get to magnify your voice and make it heard to a larger radius. And hence it comes that such personalities have quoted their advice or experiences or opinions in few words, often eliciting nods of agreement from us.
Here are a few famous parents and what they think about parenting:
1. There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
German Writer and Statesman
2. Parents were invented to make children happy by giving them something to ignore.
American Poet, Author, Lyricist
3. I feel very blessed to have two wonderful, healthy children who keep me completely grounded, sane and throw up on my shoes just before I go to an awards show just so I know to keep it real.
American Academy Award winning Actress
4. When you hold your baby in your arms the first time, and you think of all the things you can say and do to influence him, it’s a tremendous responsibility. What you do with him can influence not only him, but everyone he meets and not for a day or a month or a year, but for time and eternity.
American Philanthropist and Socialite
Wife of Joseph P. Kennedy Sr.
Mother of Former American President John F. Kennedy
5. Don’t worry that children never listen to you; worry that they are always watching you.
6. If you bungle raising your children, I don’t think whatever else you do matters very much.
Former First Lady of the United States of America
7. There are times as a parent when you realize that your job is not to be the parent you always imagined you’d be, the parent you always wished you had. Your job is to be the parent your child needs, given the particulars of his or her own life and nature.
Israeli-American Novelist and Essayist
8. At every step the child should be allowed to meet the real experience of life; the thorns should never be plucked from his roses.
Swedish Feminist Writer
9. You can learn many things from children. How much patience you have, for instance.
Franklin P. Jones
American Reporter, Public Relations Executive, Humorist
10. Children have never been good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them.
African-American Novelist, Essayist, Playwright, Poet, Social Critic
These quotes will reverberate in every parent’s heart and soul, and give you advice that will surely help you in your life as a parent.
About the Author
Sonali Vijay Dabade is a professional freelance writer. She has been writing and editing for some time now, with a special interest in children’s and family subjects. Prior to writing, she loves reading all sorts of books, relish travelling and has a deep affection for music. She believes herself as a spirited dreamer and an admiring thinker.
Sonali helps parents make sense of what’s going on in their kids’ lives. From games to cell phones to movies and more, if you’re wondering “what’s the right age for…?” With an extensive and abiding interest in children and bossing people around, her role as a parenting expert brings her skills and obsessions together in perfect harmony.