Is Digital Parenting Necessary?
As technology advances, and information becomes more readily available, parents are finding themselves at a sort of crossroads. This increased access to information now provides our children with an almost endless database of knowledge and information, both good and bad. Digital parenting offers parents a way to make sure that their parenting decisions are being respected online, and that the safety of children comes first.
Internet is a powerful tool for learning and an amazing resource of information and entertainment. Unfortunately it is also a favorite tool used by predators to prey upon innocent children. According to one of the stats published by ‘San Diego County District Attorney’ in the US, there are:
- Over 45 million children in the age group of 10 to 17 have access to internet.
- One out of every five children has been sexually solicited.
- One out of every four has encountered pornography accidentally.
- At least 60% of the children using internet have received an e-mail or instant message from a stranger and almost close to half of them have replied back.
- Over 75% of internet crime pertains to sexual solicitation of children or accidental exposure to pornography that goes unreported to either police or to the parents.
The access to an abundance of information brings with it its own set of challenges for parents that are raising children in this modern age of technology. Issues like cyberbullying, Internet addiction, and cyber security are challenges that many parents have not had to face in the past.
According to PEW Internet research, children in the age group of 12 to 17 have smart phones with internet, social media and email access. Children at the tender age cannot decide for themselves what is right and what is wrong. Exposure to potentially harmful or damaging content such as access to unethical, illegal or sexually explicit website can have a derogatory impact on the child’s mind, especially around the time when their brain is developing. Since there are no rules governing the website – anyone can setup a website for literally any purpose, as a result today there are websites that
- Shows how to grow and process narcotics
- Advocate hate or anarchy
- Buy and sell stolen goods
- Have tutorials on making fake IDs or print counterfeit money
- Offer get-rich-quick schemes that can put your family at financial risk
- Shows process to make bomb from readily available materials
- There are literally more than millions of pornographic websites
There are enough debates around how much control parents should have over their children’s online activity. But one thing is certain that it is important for parents to watch their children’s online activity. By putting certain access control in place, parents can mend their children’s online behavior that empowers them to make the right choice and decisions. It is important for parents to handhold and partner their kids in their digital journey. How much control and freedom is given to children in the digital world depends upon their parenting style and social context, but not being aware of the online risks today will be may lead to unwanted consequences.
There are enough software and applications available to help parents track their children’s activities on a home computer or a smart phone. One such application is eKAVACH. It is India’s first digital parenting application that provides a comprehensive solution suite to protect children in the online realm while giving parents a peace of mind. It is quite understandable that not all parents are tech savvy and so keeping this in mind eKAVACH is developed intuitively that doesn’t require complicated setups.
Digital Parenting with eKAVACH means never having to compromise your child’s safety, or your own personal parenting style. Parents can let technology work with them, giving a peace of mind that can be hard to find in today’s fast and furious world of social media and technology. Sign up today, and explore the world of safe browsing and happy digital parenting.